10 Best Alternative Rock Bands
The 10 best alternative rock bands is a collection of some of the most unique artists in the history of rock music. Alternative music is a label generally applied to bands that started to appear in the early 1990's along with grunge, but any band that offers an alternative to the mainstream music scene qualifies for the list of the 10 best alternative rock bands.
- Nirvana. Nirvana is considered by many music critics to be the very first alternative band as they were the first to offer a popular alternative to the hair metal bands that had taken over the music scene in the early 1990's. Lead singer Kurt Cobain and his habit of wearing sweaters and flannel shirts on stage is often credited with creating the look associated with grunge music as well.
- Pearl Jam. Seattle was a hotbed of alternative music in the early 1990's, and one of the bands to make a huge impact on music in general was the alternative band Pearl Jam. They had hit songs, hit albums and lead the fight for lower concert ticket prices. In the end, they were also considered one of the 10 best alternative rock bands of all time.
- Radiohead. The band Radiohead never denied their roots in 1960's and 70's progressive music with influences ranging from Pink Floyd to King Crimson. They managed to bring all of their influences together and create one of the 10 best alternative bands ever.
- Weezer. The quirky band Weezer was difficult to figure out initially as they seemed to embrace some of the sounds of pop music but preferred the look and attitude of an alternative band. As it turns out, Weezer knows how to blend all of their backgrounds into one of the 10 best alternative rock bands in rock history.
- 30 Seconds To Mars. It seems that alternative music underwent a rejuvenation in the early 2000's, and that was led by the band 30 Seconds to Mars. The band is known for its pop hit songs as well as its adventurous musical epics.
- Cage The Elephant. In keeping with the influx of new alternative bands that appeared in the 2000's, Cage the Elephant brings their unique mixture of alternative music and new wave to become one of the 10 best alternative rock bands of all time.
- Soundgarden. With powerful vocals and grinding guitar riffs, Soundgarden was another Seattle band that found success as one of the 10 best alternative rock bands ever.
- 311. When a band mixes together as many influences as 311 does and delivers hit songs, then it deserves to be on the list of the 10 best alternative rock bands. The band's sound is a mixture of reggae, rock, hip hop and maybe even some ballroom dancing in there as well.
- The White Stripes. When a band is difficult to categorize, that usually means it belongs in the alternative genre. The White Stripes is a drummer and guitar player that create some very unique music.
- Green Day. The career of the band Green Day has spanned many different genres, but the one category it seems to always fit in is alternative. Considering the Green Day body of work which includes a Broadway musical, this is definitely one of the 10 best alternative rock bands of all time.