10 Best Flying Songs
The 10 best flying songs talk directly about the act of flying, or they use flying as a metaphor for a life-changing event. Some of the greatest artists in the world have written famous songs about flying. As you look over the list of the ten best flying songs, see how many you can recognize.
- "Learning To Fly" (1987) - Pink Floyd. The lyrics in this Pink Floyd hit talk about lead singer David Gilmour's fascination with flying small-engine airplanes. It was the band's first hit without songwriter Roger Waters and one of the ten best flying songs ever written.
- "Learning To Fly" (1991) - Tom Petty. Tom Petty's "Learning to Fly" (1991) is about life experiences and delivered in the smooth style Petty is known for. This was a huge hit in 1991 for Tom Petty and stands as one of the ten best flying songs ever.
- "Leaving On A Jet Plane" (1969) - John Denver. By 1969, John Denver had been a professional musician for seven years. The grueling road and the depression he felt when he had to leave his family to go on the road prompted this beautiful song.
- "Fly Like An Eagle" (1977) - Steve Miller. The airy sound of this song accompanies its message of the desire freedom. Steve Miller talks about leaving the world behind and flying free like an eagle in this entry into the list of ten best flying songs ever.
- "Learn To Fly" (1999) - Foo Fighters. This song has some significant lyrics and an interesting message that was completely forgotten when the Foo Fighters released the video for this song in 1999. The video is a parody of the hit comedy "Airplane!" (1980), and reigns as one of the best videos ever made.
- "I Believe I Can Fly" (1996) - R. Kelly. This song was featured in the hit movie "Space Jam" (1996) and the video featured images of Michael Jordan flying through the air. The real theme of freedom and overcoming obstacles was lost in the marketing, but this is still one of the ten best flying songs ever.
- "Fly To The Angels" (1990) - Slaughter. The band Slaughter was part of the onslaught of hair metal bands of the late 1980's and early 1990's. But their song "Fly To The Angels" (1990) is a well-written ballad that is one of the ten best flying songs ever released.
- "Fly By Night" (1975) - Rush. The song "Fly By Night" (1975) is by the album of the same name from the Canadian rock band Rush. It is the first album with drummer Neil Peart, and the lyrics are Peart's interpretation of his emotions every time he has to leave home to go on the road.
- "Come Fly With Me" (1957) - Sammy Cahn. Frank Sinatra made this flying song famous, and Sinatra's delivery of the song is always used as the model for the way the song was meant to be sung. The concept of grabbing your favorite girl and just getting away from everything helped make this song a huge hit.
- "Fly" (1997) - Sugar Ray. It is not really clear what this Sugar Ray hit is about, but the lyrics talk about grabbing on to the one you love and getting away from reality. The off-key guitar lick and catchy refrain helped to make this song a huge hit.