10 Best Sad Country Song
Here are the 10 best sad country songs. No one does a sad song better than country. If you are feeling blue and want to feel like you are not the only one, take a listen to any of these top ten sad country songs.
- "What Hurts the Most" Rascal Flatts This sad song is about a woman that leaves a man. Once she is gone, he now understands what he has lost. It is one of the universal truths of misery.
- "God's Will" Martina McBride It was hard to decide between a few of Martina's sad songs, but this one tops the list. It is about a boy with braces and if you don't shed a tear, you must not be human.
- "Wish You Were Here" Mark Willis. It's about loss and misery, a true recipe for a great sad country song. A man who is travelling dies in a plane crash. He had bought and sent a postcard that just said heaven on the front with a picture of the beach. After his wife finds out about his death, she gets the postcard and, ironically, it is as if she is getting the message from heaven itself.
- "Just a Dream" Carrie Underwood This American Idol star has truly come into her own. This song is about a husband that is killed in war, a fitting topic for today's world.
- "If You are Reading This" Tim McGraw This sad country tune fits it with Underwood. It is about a letter that a solider carries in the event of his death to be sent to his family. Guess if they are reading this.
- "The Baby" Blake Shelton There is something so innately sad about a grown man admitting he is the baby of the family. This one is about a son who is losing his mother; he's the baby of the family. As he rushes to his mother's death bed, he arrives only to find that he is too late and cries like a baby.
- I'll Wait for You" Joe Nichols This sad country tune is about a man who travels for work and is gone most of the time. When he wife gets ill, he quickly returns to find a note left with the doctor: "I'll wait for you."
- "Live Like You Were Dying" Tim McGraw Obviously Tim had the right idea here. He knows how to write a sad song. His father finds out that he is dying and decides to try new things like skydiving and bull riding. After he dies, as a tribute and to show what he has learned, the son did all of the things his father had done just the year before.
- "I Don't Call Him Daddy" Doug Supernaw This sad country song is about a bitter divorce. In this case, the mother is with someone new who "takes care of things." But when their real father calls about picking them up for the weekend he says, "Oh, don't worry Dad. You know, it don't matter what we do 'cause I don't call him daddy. he can never be like you."
- "Go Rest High on That Mountain" Vince Gill Originally about Keith Whitley, this one was not finished until the the death of Gill's brother. It is a tribute to men, to loss and to suffering over that loss. And those are the saddest country songs.
Posted on: Nov. 24, 2010