10 Winter Fashion Tips
Know what to wear when the temperature dips with these 10 winter fashion tips. Looking good may not be your first priority when the facing a snowstorm, but with these tips, it is possible to do just that without much effort. Build a classic wardrobe full of layering possibilities for a sharp look in the harsh winter.
- Choose a classic winter hat that offers good protection from the elements. Find a lined fisherman hat, a knit scull cap or tweed newsboy hat. There are a select few men who can wear luxury leather hats or fur, and others that can get away with handmade numbers, but this is an elite group. Ask your friends for advice when considering wacky head wear.
- Learn to tie a scarf. A winter fashion tip that will quickly increase your style quotient is to fold one the Parisian way, which is done by simply folding the scarf in half, wrapping around the back of your neck and then pulling the two ends through the loop that the fold created.
- Experiment with color. While your pants, coat, gloves and boots will most likely be a dark neutral color, your scarf can be a color explosion. Show your personality with a creatively designed scarf. Winter fashion includes plaids, shocking brights and checkerboards patterns will make you stand out without looking ridiculous.
- Have coat options. Purchase a warm jacket made of waterproof synthetic material, a leather coat and a wool topcoat if you frequently wear a suit. GQ winter fashion tips suggests that wool topcoats can only be worn with a suit.
- Take care of your leather coat. Spray with a water repellant spray and take care of salt stains with a white vinegar and water solution.
- Throw a vest over a warm sweater. This is a stylish winter look that is also remarkably warm. A vest combined with a scarf, hat and gloves will keep you warm on days that are not frigid.
- Wear the right boots for your outfit. Dark, military boots work with a suit, while traditional Timberland style boots pair well with jeans.
- Look for pants that offer a little extra protection from the elements such as wool dress pants, heavy jeans or corduroys. Winter fashion often means choosing heavier weight fabric. This not only feels better in the cold, but it looks more appropriate than a pair of light chinos.
- Choose basic shirts such as long sleeve T-shirts for layering under sweaters or button down shirts. A thin Under Armor shirt can really keep you warm without adding any bulk.
- Slip a pair of thermals on under your outfit. This fashion tip won’t be seen, but it can mean the difference between being comfortable and chattering teeth. Thermal pants do not add much bulk, but they do trap the warmth in and can keep you smiling through a snowstorm, and smiling is the best fashion tip of all