5 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
These 5 healthy slow cooker recipes can help you to put a healthy dinner on the table more often. Slow cooker recipes can be assembled in the morning and will be ready by dinnertime. Slow cooker recipes can be your secret to great home-cooked meals.
To make Spanish chicken, you will need:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chunked
- 4 chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- Grease the slow cooker with olive oil. Wash the chicken and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the paprika. Place the chicken the slow cooker.
- Place the prepared tomatoes over the chicken. Add the bay leaves.
- Turn it on low. Cook for eight to ten hours. The tomatoes will caramelize and make a sauce for the chicken.
To make three bean soup, you will need:
- 1 cup dried lima beans
- 1 cup dried great Northern beans
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1 pound bag baby carrots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Soak beans overnight. Drain and add to slow cooker. Add the water, carrots, onion, garlic and seasonings, except salt. Mix well.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for 30 minutes on high. Turn down to low and cook for eight hours or until tender.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and salt. Cook for an additional hour. Remove bay leaf.
To make a whole roasted chicken, you will need:
- 1 whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 3 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, stripped from the branch
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Rub the chicken with olive oil. Grease the slow cooker. Place the chicken in it.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the herbs on top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for eight to ten hours. Add up to one half cup water as needed during cooking.
To make chicken cacciatore, you will need:
- 6 boneless chicken thighs or 8 chicken tenders
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Add the other ingredients on top of the chicken.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for eight hours on low. Taste to correct seasonings.
To make baked apples, one of the best winter slow cooker recipes for dessert, you will need:
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 4 large Granny smith apples, cored
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- Put the apple cider, lemon juice and syrup into a slow cooker. Mix together. Put the apples in.
- In a bowl, mix together the raisins, cinnamon, and walnuts. Pace the apples in the slow cooker and fill them with the mixture.
- Cover and cook on the low setting for three hours. Remove and serve with ice cream.