5 Winter Solstice Recipes
Need 5 Winter Solstice Recipes for the time of year when the sun is at the lowest point? Many countries celebrate the Winter Solstice with great food, singing and dancing, festive decorations like mistletoe. Some of the foods eaten are leg of lamb, pork chops, mutton soup, saffron buns, mushroom pasta, potatoes and desserts. Celebrating the Winter Solstice with these easy recipes will make the long winter more exciting. The mid winter is a great time to celebrate The Winter Solstice with some new delicious recipes.
1. Lamb Soup
- 1 pound of lamb cut into chunks
- 1 onion peeled and chopped fine
- 1 head green cabbage chopped fine
- 4-5 carrots peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white rice or brown rice
- In a large pan on stove heat olive oil. Add chopped lamb saute for five minutes
- Peel and chop onion add to cooking lamb. Let cook another five minutes
- Add 4 cups of vegetable broth. Stir well
- Chop up green cabbage and add to soup. Peel and dice carrots add to soup.
- Let lamb soup cook 45 minutes to an hour over medium heat.
- Make white rice according to package directions. Serve lamb soup over rice.
2. Roasted Mushroom Salad
- 1 lb slice mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced parsley chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the mushrooms place in large bowl. Mix in minced garlic.
- Toss with olive oil and wine vinegar. Add the diced parsley.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil
- Place mushroom mixture on this sheet spread evenly.
- Roast mushrooms for 20 minutes. Then flip over until browned on both sides.
- Serve with grated cheese as a side dish.
3. Basil Oven Roasted Potatoes
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 lbs potatoes peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes. Put them in large bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over potatoes. Mix to coat evenly.
- Toss in chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Put foil on baking sheet.
- Arrange potatoes evenly on sheet. Bake potatoes 1./2 hour to 45 minutes.
- Turn and check to keep from burning. Add more fresh basil after cooking.
4. Easy Chocolate Ice Cream Bombe
- 1 or 2 pound cakes to cut
- Raspberry jam
- 1 gallon chocolate ice cream
- 1 bag or can crushed walnuts
- Chocolate syrup
- whipped cream
- In a trifle bowl or large regular bowl slice the pound cake to form a layer. Spread raspberry jelly on the bottom.
- Now scoop a layer of ice cream and put some crushed nuts on top. Slice another layer of pound cake. Put more raspberry jam.
- Put another layer of chocolate ice cream with nuts. Layer cake, jam, ice cream and nuts until the bowl is filled.
- Top with whipped cream. Serve immediately. Cover leftover bombe and put in freezer.
5. Crockpot Wassail
- 1/2 gallon apple cider
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 orange cut into sections
- 2 or 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- Plug in crockpot and put on low. Add the apple cider and cranberry juice.
- Mix well with spoon. Add honey.
- Cut oranges and add to the mixture. Drop in cinnamon stick
- Add allspice and ginger stir well. Add more apple cider if needed.
- Cook on low heat for two hours or more.. Stir occasionally.. Serve hot.