Alternative Rock Bands
These alternative rock bands each have great style and a one-of-a-kind sound. Whether old or new, each of these bands brings innovation and edgy skill to the alternative rock genre. If you are looking to discover the best alternative rock groups, these are the bands you should be listening to.
- R.E.M. This band has certainly made a huge imprint on the alternative rock genre. With great hits such as "Losing My Religion," "Everybody Hurts" and "Man on the Moon," R.E.M. molded the genre. Band members Peter Buck, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe and Buck Berry formed the alternative rock band in 1980, contributing unbelievable beats and innovative lyrics. For instance, the song "Draggin' the Line" has lyrics such as, "Ain't got much, but what we got's ours / We dig snow and rain and the bright sunshine." If that wasn't enough, "Rolling Stone" named R.E.M. "America's Best Rock and Roll Band" in 1987. The group has definitely made a great contribution to many genres as they continue to create music.
- Sugar Ray If you've been using Pandora to find new alternative rock music, you'll definitely want to consider Sugar Ray. Lead singer Mark McGrath provides great vocals to create the alternative rock band's fun and enjoyable songs. The band was most popular in the late '90s and early 2000s. The band's latest release, "Music for Cougars," has a great new edge while still remaining true to their band's style. The album's song, "Boardwalk" and "Closer" are definitely ones you will want to listen to. This band has had great hits, accounting for their albums going platinum and gold.
- Everclear This alternative rock band is definitely one of the best in history. Formed in Porland, Oregon, in 1992, the band has had many changes to its members, although Art Alexakis has never left and stayed with the band since the start. The members gained significant attention in the late '90s and they plan a new album for 2011. Alexakis's difficult childhood and parental relationships are described in many of the band's songs, including "Father of Mine." The tone of the lyrics does not take away from the great beat and playability. The best of this band is clearly in their albums "Songs from an American Movie Vol. 1" and "So Much for the Afterglow"—either of these albums will give you a sense of what Everclear is all about.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers As an alternative rock band with truly diverse style, the Red Hot Chili Peppers have created a wide range of songs that have pleased millions. Their music is so epic that it has been included in the popular video games "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band." One of their most popular songs, "Under the Bridge" is a slow-paced alternative rock song with lyrics that describe drug problems. This band truly knows how to put attitude, emotions and feeling into each of their songs. The band's first album, "The Red Hot Chili Peppers," helped bring this band to its centic spot amongst alternative rock, leading to their eventual fame as a powerful music group.
- Flaming Lips This is an alternative rock band that has a unique experimental edge as they consistenly take risks in their music. The result is an eclectic exploration of the rock genre, with many beautiful songs. One of their most popular songs, "Fight Test," was 28th on the UK singles chart. There is even a planned musical to be made as an inspiration from the album "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots." Whether it is commercials or iPods, the song has reached numerous facets of popular culture, making it one of the most creative examples of alternative rock music.