Baking Soda Uses
The innumerable baking soda uses amazes even experts. What image comes to your mind at the mention of baking soda? A substance used for baking. You are correct. One of the most practical baking soda uses is in baking as a leavening agent. Baking soda uses in this effect should not be mistaken for baking powder. Baking powder has a tint of acidifying and drying agents but baking soda is purely sodium carbonate. There are other amazing things you can do with baking soda. This simple powder can fit-in as personal care, cleaning, cooking and deodorizing agent. Baking soda also known as sodium carbonate is an inexpensive powder, non-toxic, multipurpose and very effective. Some baking soda uses are as follows;
- FOR SKIN EXFOLIATION To maintain a healthy skin, you need to keep the skin clean. You can achieve this by washing your face with clean water and applying a soft paste of a mixture of three portions of sodium carbonate and one portion of water. With this paste, gently massage in a circular motion carefully avoiding the area around the eye, then remove the paste using a wet towel.
- FOR TEETH BRUSHING Prepare a tooth paste with ¼ cup of baking soda and 1/8 cup of water. Shake the mixture properly until it forms a paste. Apply it to your tooth brush and use to clean your teeth. The paste is abrasive and as such should be used gently around the gum line.
- FOR HEART BURN RELIEF Baking soda can help with indigestion and it can also be a great relief for heart burn. The major cause of heart burn is acid and sodium carbonate is an antacid. Basic soda and acid can be said to be two parallel lines that can never meet. Add ½ teaspoon of sodium carbonate to ½ cup of water and stir and then drink. This mixture works wonders as an effective antacid. It is also very safe.
- USED IN REMOVING STAINS IN GARAGE OR DRIVEWAY Clear the spot of all dirt and debris before starting to clean. Wet the place and then sprinkle sodium carbonate on the surface and scrub with a hard wet brush. Rinse the surface with enough water after scrubbing.
- USED IN CLEANING POTS Mix Baking soda and normal detergent and allow for about 5 minutes. Depending on the pan you are using and the amount of residue, the waiting time varies. Ensure you allow it to stay for appropriate duration or you will find it hard to scrub when it is time. After sprinkling the mixture, gently scrub the pan and finally rinse it with enough water.
- AS FIRE EXTINGUISHER Kitchen fires are the most common causes of fire incidence. One of baking soda uses is anti-oxygen and because of this, it is a good idea to have it handy in most kitchens. Baking soda removes the oxygen in fire. In a fire incident, throw a good quantity of baking soda at the base of the fire to put it out. Take precautions while doing this or call fire professionals to ensure that the fire is properly and completely extinguished.
- DEODORIZER Baking soda uses cannot be complete without the mention of its use as a deodorant. Some deodorants have some harmful chemical mixtures. Get a mixture of 1/8 teaspoon of baking powder and ¼ of water in your hands. Rub between your palms until it becomes slippery and apply it underneath your arm. The dosage can vary.
There are so many other baking soda uses. The effectiveness of this powder comes from its dual capability of neutralizing and buffering. It neutralizes acidic odors and maintains PH level especially in water. These may seem like simple reactions, but they have a very high effect on most cleaning and deodorizing chores.