Cake Filling Recipes
Why buy cake filling when you can make your own with cake filling recipes? Cakes are always sweeter as a treat and as a gesture when they are homemade. It is extra-special when you stuff it with a delightful filling such as strawberries, lemon or raspberry.
1. Strawberry Filling
- 2 pints of ripe strawberries that are hulled and slice in half if you have the large sizes
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using a food processor, puree half of the strawberries. Add the honey, lemon juice, maple syrup and vanilla with the strawberries before turning the food processor on. Wait until the puree has gained a smooth consistency.
- Toss in the remaining strawberries and pulse until they are chopped. Be careful not to liquefy them.
- A pureeing tip: A food processor or blender is an ideal piece of equipment for making a puree. If you use fresh strawberries, add a tablespoon of water. If you use frozen strawberries, collect the liquid you thawed the strawberries from and use it to make the puree.
2. Lemon Filling
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipped cream (optional but helps achieve extra creaminess)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter that are good for kids
- 1 egg or 2 slightly beaten egg yolks
- Set up a double broiler. Place water in a pot and a double broiler on top of it. Avoid having the water from the pot touch the bowl’s base. Let the water come to a boil. Lower to a medium or medium low heat until it simmers.
- Pour sugar, flour (or cornstarch alternatively) and salt in the double boiler. Stir in water using a whisk.
- Cook over boiling water.Wait for the mixture to thicken while constantly stirring.
- Cook for ten more minutes once it is thickened. Cover with a lid and occasionally stir at least every three minutes.
- Lighten the previously beaten eggs using some of the hot mixture. After, slowly pour it back into the remaining hot mixture while continuing to stir.
- Cook over hot, but not boiling water for two minutes.Don’t forget to stir constantly.
- Remove from the double boiler bowl heat. Add the butter and lemon rind zest.Stir until the butter melts.
- Chill.When mixture is fully cooled, add the lemon juice and stir.
- For extra creaminess, whip up the heavy cream until it stiffens and stir it with the chilled lemon cake filling. You will then have an extra creamy lemon filling ready to use in your cake.
3. White Chocolate Raspberry Cream Filling
- 1-2/3 cups of milk
- 1-1/2 tablespoon of unflavored gelatin
- 1 3oz package of non-instant vanilla pudding
- 3/4 cup of white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup of seedless raspberry jam
- 1/3 cup of whipped cream
- Scald the milk. Melt the gelatin in the scalded milk and let stand for five minutes.
- Stir in white chocolate chips until they melt.
- Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for an hour or more.
- Beat the cream until it becomes stiff.
- Whip the raspberry jam until it reaches a creamy consistency.
- Combine the cream mixture with the vanilla pudding.
- Scalding milk tip: Use a heavy-bottomed pan and scald subject milk to a low heat. Occasionally stir until the milk reaches a hot temperature where steam and bubbles surface around the edges. Do not let it boil. Remove it from heat and use as directed on the recipe.