Emmitt Smith Stats
What are the stats of Emmitt Smith? Emmitt Smith was perhaps the heart of one of the greatest football teams of all time the 1990's Dallas Cowboys. Not the fastest back, or the strongest, or even the slipperiest, Emmitt Smith will forever be known as one of the most determined and durable backs to ever put on a helmet. Fifteen years in the NFL surely attests to that.
- Career years. Emmitt Smith played for fifteen years from 1990 - 2004. This was a long and historied career which shows Emmitt Smith's durability as a running back. Thirteen of those seasons were with the Dallas Cowboys and the final two were with the Arizona Cardinals.
- Career games . Emmitt Smith played in 226 games over fifteen years. He seldom missed a game during his career. This is a lot of games for any player, but especially for a running back who takes so much punishment.
- Career carries. Emmitt Smith carried 4,409 times in fifteen years. This the the NFL record for number of rushing attempts. This is a testement to Emmitt Smith's durablity as an athlete.
- Career rushing yards. Emmitt Smith rushed for 18,355 yards. This is an NFL record! What more needs be said. It comes an average of slightly over four yards every time he carried the ball.
- Career rushing touchdowns. Emmitt Smith scored 164 touchdowns. This is the record for NFL rushing touchdowns.
- Career receptions. Emmitt Smith made 515 pass receptions. This is not a great number, but he was afterall a running back. He was much more valuable running the ball.
- Career receiving yards. Emmitti Smith's pass receptions netted 3,224 yards. This comes out to an average of 6.3 yard per catch, higher than his rushing average.
- Career receiving touchdowns. Emmitt Smith scored eleven receiving touchdowns. This is not a great number compared to his rushing touchdowns. But, when they are added together it puts him in second place all time for career touchdowns at 175.
- Career records. Emmitt Smith holds, shares or is in the top three for eighteen NFL records, including the top one for a running back, career yards rushing. He holds, shares, or is in the top three for nine Super Bowl records. He holds, shares or is in the top three for 64 Dallas Cowboy team records.
Those are the stats of Emmitt Smith. For a man who was only 5"9" and was told he was too small to play professional running back, Emmitt Smith left an indelible mark on the NFL.