How To Be Friends With Your Ex
Do you miss the friendship that you had with your ex and want to learn how to be friends with you ex? Being friends with your ex can sometimes work to your benefit because it can turn out to be a great friendship. It can seem awkward at first trying to be friends with your ex, but if you are thinking about it you should at least give it a try. Here are some ways how to be friends with your ex.
- Make sure that you are completely over them. Give yourself time to get yourself together after breaking up, especially if the relationship lasted for a long time. Your emotions can overtake the situation if you haven't gotten over you ex. Don't rush into being friends, get your mindset and emotions prepared to know that it wont go any further than friends.
- Occasionally check in with your ex. Call them or send a friendly text message on their birthday or a holiday. Periodically check on them to see how things are going. See if anything new is going on in their life. Be supportive of them with whatever they are doing or wherever they are in life.
- When the opportunity comes let them know that you would like to be friends with them. Let them know that you feel comfortable with them as a person and miss your friendship with them and would like to be friends again.
- Have casual conversations. Avoid any sexual or romantic topics, which could possibly lead to either of your flirting. Stay focused because in the beginning it can be tricky and a little difficult. You want to make sure that you don't lead the other person on, and that they don't lead you either. If you ever find yourself in an uncomfortable conversation just end it, and tell them that you have to go.
- Set limits to how often you talk, and hang out with them. At first, keep your meetings and your conversations as short as possible. It's okay to have fun and let them know that you enjoy hanging out with them, but don't over do it. You cannot become best friends with your ex overnight.
- Respect your ex wishes if they don't seem interested in a friendship. They may feel uncomfortable with you, or may still not be over you, or just don't want you to be a part of their life right now. It may be possible to be friends with them sometime in the future, but don't force it.