How To Improve Running Speed
Running is your passion and you want to know how to improve your running speed? If you are a runner, speed is one of the most important athletic components that increase your performance level. Learning to increase your speed can help you overall improve your running and your athletic ability. There are several things that can be done to help you improve your running speed. Whether you are training for an event, a marathon, or just want to become a faster runner, there are a few different things that you can do to improve your running speed.
To improve your speed you need:
- good pair of running shoes
- running track
- stairs or a hill
- Have the proper food and leg movements. Land on the ball of your foot when running, because this is where all the force is stored. Maximize your stride by having your foot land underneath your hip as you drive back until you leg is straight directly behind your body. Your knee should be slightly up and driving forward, as your foot leaves the ground.
- Work on your head position. Your head should be steady and you should always look straight ahead. This helps you to stay focused on where you are going and keep you from distractions.
- Weekly workout on stairs or hills. You get a more intense workout when you are going up hill. This will help to strengthen you cardiovascular system, and strengthen your lower body muscles. Sprinting to the top of a hill or stairs will help with your endurance. After a few times and receptions, gradually increase your speed.
- Practice running on a running track. You can get in a lot of speed workouts such as the 200 and 400 meter dash. Use a stopwatch to keep up with your progress. Start off with sprinting and do multiple repetitions. Work on increasing your speed, and then increase the distance that you run.