How To Make Sweet Potatoes For Thanksgiving
If you’re looking for a side dish that’s sure to please young and old alike, you should learn how to make sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. This dish is commonly referred to as candied yams or candied sweet potatoes. If you don’t want the dish to be overly sweet, you can adjust the ingredients or leave off the marshmallows. Most people usually either love or hate this dish, but it has become a traditional side dish for many Thanksgiving dinners.
To make sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving, you will need:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 stick of butter
- A small pot
- Measuring spoons
- A knife
- A casserole dish
- A stovetop
- An oven
- Preheat the oven. Set the oven dial at 350 degrees.
- Precook the sweet potatoes. Cut into pieces. Boil for about twenty minutes or until tender. Remove the peels when they're cool enough to handle and place the sweet potatoes in the casserole dish.
- Measure and mix together the brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange peel. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Cut the butter into pieces. Place it over the sweet potatoes. Pour orange juice over the top of the sweet potatoes. Place them in the oven and cook for twenty minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven. Sprinkle marshmallows over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Return them to the oven. Cook for about five more minutes, checking to make sure that the marshmallows melt but don’t scorch.
- Allow to cool before serving. Serve warm.