How To Prepare For Male Infertility Tests
Knowing how to prepare for male infertility tests helps you calm any nervousness or fears you have about the procedure. Male infertility tests are exams and lab tests medical professionals perform to determine whether or not you are suffering from infertility or the inability to father a child. The types of tests you undergo depend on your situation, but the most common tests include a sperm analysis and physical exam.
Things you'll need:
- To stay away from heat
- To stay away from chemicals
- To stay away from certain drinks
- Do not eat or drink items that affect test results. Stay away from caffeine, hormones, acid indigestion medications, alcohol, illegal drugs and herbal medicines. Items that raise your blood pressure will effect the results of your physical exam.
- Stay away from heat. Prolonged exposure to heat may alter your infertility test results.
- Stay away from chemicals. Exposure to certain chemicals before the test, like pesticides, may give you erroneous results.
- Don't "save" your sperm. Not ejaculating for several days before the test can skew your sperm volume results. However, avoid ejaculating for about one week prior to the test to ensure an accurate sample.
- Ask how your semen sample will be collected. Although having you masturbate at the time of the test is common, there may be other options available to you if you are not comfortable doing so. You may be permitted to make your sample at home by masturbating or having sex with your partner and withdrawing if you live within a reasonable distance from the clinic.
- Ask how long the testing will take. You need to undergo infertility testing as dictated by your doctor, so make sure you allot enough time for your appointment.