It is important to learn how to reset an iPhone. Unfortunately, electronic devices are imperfect in spite of their amazing technology, and Apple's iPhone is definitely no exception. Occasionally, due to the large amount of applications you might happen to have open at once, you may find that your device freezes up and becomes unresponsive.
- Check the battery. The first thing you should do if your iPhone suddenly becomes unresponsive is to check the battery life. If it is low, you will notice a red line showing on the left-hand side of the battery meter, and you will not have to reset the iPhone but charge it.
- Restart your phone. Restarting your device is a good idea whenever it becomes unresponsive. Press and hold the "Sleep/Wake" button until you see a red slider appear on the display screen. Slide your finger across it, and this will turn off your iPhone. This is important when you are trying to reset an iPhone. Turn the device back on by pressing and holding the "Start/Wake" button and look for the Apple logo to appear in the middle of the screen.
- Additional troubleshooting steps. If your device is still not responding, you should repeat the above step. However, make sure to also hold the "Home" button in addition to the "Sleep/Wake" button, and do so for at least 10 seconds. Wait until you see the Apple logo appear on the display. This will most likely effectively reset your iPhone.
- Update software. If your iPhone is still unresponsive, you should make sure you have the latest software installed on it. Check to ensure you have the latest version of iTunes. If you think you do not, connect your device to your computer with the USB cable it came with. This should properly reset your iPhone.
- Restore factory settings. If all the previous troubleshooting steps failed and your iPhone is still frozen or unresponsive, you will have to take things even farther and restore its factory settings. To do this, keep your device connected to your computer with iTunes open. Click on the tab that says "Restore factory settings." This will successfully reset iPhone.