The Rules Of Dating
Whether your relationship is in its beginning stages or you've been with your partner for years, you can definitely benefit from learning the rules of dating. Any relationship requires work, and maintaining the good feelings and loving emotions can only come with equal effort from both parties. If you really want your relationship to last as long as it can, then you cannot go wrong with knowing the rules of dating.
- Be honest. Perhaps one of the most important rules of dating, it is absolutely tantamount to be honest with your partner if you want your relationship to succeed. If you lie to your partner, you'll soon find her unable or unwilling to believe anything you say. By building your relationship on the foundation of honesty, you'll find you and your partner enjoying each other's company a lot more.
- Be open-minded. Like it or not, you're not dating yourself. One of the cardinal rules of dating is understanding that your partner is a person who is extremely dissimilar to yourself; learning how to cope with her idiosyncrasies is one of the biggest feats you're going to have to accomplish when entering a relationship. However, doing so will prove vastly rewarding—you'll show that you're willing to accept her for who she is and that, deep down, you truly care about her.
- Be accommodating. Being a part in a partnership inevitably requires compromise. Sometimes, you're going to have to be the bigger man and admit that you're wrong, even if you feel that you're not. Don't be a doormat, but at least operate with some humility and understand that sometimes you need to yield for the betterment of the relationship.
- Be ready for change. One of the biggest rules of dating is understanding that introducing someone into your life is a big change. Along with being accommodating and open-minded, you need to learn how to accept change, no matter what form it may come in. It might be as simple as her leaving a toothbrush in your bathroom, or as complicated as her and her children moving in with you. No matter what the circumstances may be, keep your gaze straight and accept change head on. You'll be a better partner, and a better person, because of it.
- Be able to communicate. A relationship cannot and will not work without communication from either partner. One of the most important rules of dating is knowing how to communicate with your partner no matter how frustrated either of you may be. Shutting yourself off and keeping silent is the best way to make a relationship fall apart. If you want your partnership to last, be ready and willing to talk.
- Be fun. Of course, the main reason you date someone is because you enjoy being around them. Don't forget to be the fun-loving and enjoyable person she fell for in the first place. By not remembering to have fun, you and your partner will forget the reasons you started dating and being to loathe each other, either silently or blatantly. Keeping things light and making time to have fun is key to making sure that your relationship is equal parts fruitful and long-lasting.
Adhering to these rules of dating will ensure that you and your partner enjoy a happy and healthy relationship. By constantly keeping your partner's needs at the front of your mind and keeping yourself ready for change, you will guarantee that whatever time you and your partner spend together will be the happiest in both of your lives.