Slow Cooker Roast Recipe
There are probably as many varieties of slow cooker roast recipes as there are varieties of slow cookers! But sometimes, the simplest of recipes allow for the most flavorful end results. Recipes abound that add almost everything but the kitchen sink to a slow cooker roast, but not this recipe. If you prefer the taste of the roast beef over a myriad of packaged seasonings or canned flavorings, then this might be the recipe for you.
To make this simple and savory slow cooker roast recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 3 to 4 lb. chuck beef roast
- 1 large onion
- 3 to 4 large carrots or 1 1/2 cup of baby carrots
- 3 to 4 large stalks celery
- 2 bay leaves, whole not crushed
- 1 tbs. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- enough water to cover roast
- electric slow cooker
- Wash the carrots and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. If using the large carrots, cut into two inch chunks and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Chop the onion and celery into large pieces and place with the carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Wash the beef roast and pat dry with paper towels. Place it on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the salt and freshly ground pepper over the roast and vegetables. Put the whole bay leaves on each side of the roast.
- Fill the slow cooker with enough water to just cover the roast. Turn the slow cooker on lowest heat setting and cover with the lid and cook for approximately eight hours. If you will be home with the roast for the first hour of its cook time, then turn the slow cooker on high for one hour and then change to low for the next seven hours.
This easy slow cooker roast recipe creates it's own beef broth that is delicious drizzled over the beef. Serve the roast with the carrots, celery and onions along with mashed potatoes and bread of choice for a hearty meal. When the beef roast is cooked with minimal ingredients, the beef's natural flavor and juices allow for multiple uses for the leftover roast beef. Serve it reheated on a hoagie roll with melted cheese for a filling lunch. This slow cooker roast beef recipe also allows for the leftover roast to be shredded and used to make a tasty pot of homemade vegetable beef soup that's hard to beat! Who's hungry now?